The Vault has the ability to back up it's Internal Storage to an external hard drive from the Settings menu. To perform this, you will need a powered external 2TB USB hard drive.
If the Vault encounters a hardware issue that requires a return, as noted by a BluOS Support Crew Member, Bluesound can not always guarantee the safe return of your music collection. We recommend using the following option to Backup your music library regularly to prevent loss or corrupt data in the event of a drive failure. This procedure is required if your Vault has failed and is being replaced or attended to.
For a Vault Backup:
- Insert a USB Drive (equal or greater than the Vault).
- Select Backup Music Library under Music Library in the Settings Menu (If no disk or an underpowered drive is connected, you will receive a message and be returned to the menu)
- If this drive isn't formatted as a Bluesound Backup Drive, you will be asked to format the drive, clearing all data from the drive and making it into ext4. Press Next to confirm formatting. After the drive is reformatted, the backup will begin automatically.
- If the drive has been formatted by your Vault, select Backup Music Library and select Next.
- Progress of your formatting or backup will appear on the screen with time remaining. You may return to using your Vault as normal while these processes happen.
To Restore a Vault Backup:
- Insert USB Drive with a previous Backup into the Vault.
- Select Backup Music Library under Music Library in the Settings Menu.
- If a previous backup is on the drive, two options will appear: Backup or Restore.
- Restore will restore what is on the drive to the Vault, but will not delete any music that was not in the backup. Select Next.
- Progress of your restore will appear on the screen with time remaining. You may return to using your Vault as normal while this process happens.
The ext4 storage format is the same format that the Vault uses to store your data. It will not appear on most conventional Mac and Windows PC's.
For getting your Data to a home computer, please see our knowledge base article on Accessing the Bluesound Vault's Internal Storage From a Computer (BLS-KB14-607).