I have some questions that I really hope some experts can help me with. I will try to be brief, but feel it is important to provide a bit of background to my question first.
My wife and I are building a house and we are about 90% complete. We are not home theater people so there was no plan for any kind of serious media setup - we just want decent TV sound and good quality music. Partly for this reason and partly because I simply don't know very much about current AV electronics, not much planning was put into the sound system for the house. For perspective we will happily be upgrading from our current Sony Trinitrons (circa 1995) and JVC component stereo system (circa 1990).
Enter Bluesound :) When we began our search for our new audio system we quickly realized we really liked the sound quality and flexibility Bluesound offered. So I have been trying to learn as much as I can to get the right units and get them connected properly to provide the functionality we want. The layout and existing wiring is:
- The living room, dining room and kitchen are one large open area. The dining room and living room are adjacent along one wall (and take up about 2/3 of width of room) the kitchen area is on the opposite wall (and takes up about 1/3 width of room). The ceilings are 10-12 ft sloped height above some of the dining room and living room, while the rest is vaulted (about 16 ft high).
- Our living room TV is an LG OLED CX. It is slightly off center, closer to center of living room.
- My plan was to get a Pulse Soundbar 2i to mount under the TV.
- We have in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen (Episode 8" 550 series - 120W, 8 ohm). The goal is to have them able to play the TV sound (or not) as well as music (Bluesound) with separate volume control from the soundbar.
- We do not plan/want to have a media/electronic shelf in the living room. All of this will be in a server-room/closet directly above the kitchen. We have installed coax (x1), cat6 (x2) to the area where the TV will mount. There is also 12-guage wire run from the closet to the ceiling speakers and living room/dining room for future subwoofer(s).
And FINALLY my question(s) :
- Is it possible to run this setup with a Pulse Soundbar 2i and a Powernode 2i in the server-room/closet to power the ceiling speakers? My understanding is that the TV can output on both the eARC and digital output simultaneously. So could I run the eARC to the soundbar and TOSLINK to the Powernode (over the cat6)? Or would it be better the other way around?
- Maybe a dumb question, but by doing this would the sound be exactly synchronized between the soundbar and the ceiling speakers? To be clear, we're not looking for surround sound, just duplicated sound with separate volume control.
- Or is there a better way to get the sound to both the soundbar and ceiling speakers together (and still control separately)? Something about how Bluesound systems work that I don't understand?
- If I can get this to all work out, I also want to put a Pulse Soundbar 2i in our bedroom and possibly basement TV. There is cat6 and coax to both locations, but with TV connection and probably Apple TV, the soundbar(s) would have to use Wifi for music and eARC, TOSLINK or bluetooth(?) for TV sound. Would this setup work? We would just have to change the input on the soundbar to switch between TV and music correct? And this would be done through the BluOS app correct?
I hope my explanation and questions are clear enough. I appreciate any information or other suggestions you all can provide! Thanks!
Please sign in to leave a comment.