User Generated Songs in Network Share - Metadata changes not being picked up when reindex

Answered

Comments

10 comments

  • Official comment
    Avatar
    Mark Everett

    Re-reading your first post it looks like the problem affects only your WAV files. Whilst MP3 tag will let you add metadata tags to these file types they are not recognised by BluOS (or any other player that I'm aware of)

    (Moderator's note - Kid3 will generate tags for .wav files recorgnised by BluOS)

    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    ric982

    I found another post that was answered that says that in Settings, I should use Rebuild Index rather than ReIndex Music, but I don't see that option in settings?

    I found another post that said that Rebuild Index was moved to Help>Diagnostics>Rebuild Index

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Mark Everett

    Hi Ric - in general 'reindex' should only be used in the case where files have simply been added or removed from the share. If the metadata is subsequently changed within files which have previously been indexed then it's necessary to 'rebuild' to refresh the details within the database.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    ric982

    After rebuilding the index, the song that I updated the metadata on is still listed in "Unknown Artist", "Unknown Album", and the title is stil the 'filename' and not what is in the Title metadata.

    I also tried removing the network share and re-adding the network share and still same result.

    ???

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    ric982

    So are you saying I need to convert my .wav files to some other format like flac or alac (m4a) in order to get bluos to recognize the metadata?

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Mark Everett

    Yes, since there are no widely used metadata standards for the WAV file format you should convert these files to a lossless format such as FLAC or ALAC before applying metadata. BluOS will then have no problem in recognising this data.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    ric982

    Thanks Mark. Very helpful.

    I have JRiver - will try to work through the conversion with that.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Mark Everett

    No problem. If you struggle with JRiver there's always Foobar2000 (free) or dBpoweramp (21 day free trial) which will allow you to do quick conversions in batch.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    ric982

    So was able to convert file to .m4a (ALAC) with JRiver.

    Ran Reindex Music Collection and it found the file and picked up the metadata correctly !!!!!

    After converting all files in directory tree, I noticed I had mis-typed the "Artist" on two songs (capitalized one letter incorrectly) - so ended up with additional artist and albums. After correcting and rebuilding - the files showed in the correct place, but also still had the 'additional artist' and 'addition albums' showing the corrected files in the wrong place. Am working through trying to get that straightened out ... 

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    ric982

    Figured out I had Artist = "Artist" and Album Artist = "ARtist". Deleted Album Artist metadata and rebuilt index.
    Everything is OK now.

    1
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.