I added a Node 2i to my system about a month ago. While I appreciate the streaming and playback capabilities for music stored locally, I have serious concerns with the quality of the controller apps. For context, the observations noted below are those of a software development professional with 35 years of experience.
Bluesound needs to seriously consider re-allocating software development resources to focus on:
- fixing bugs [see below]
- synchronizing controllers to eliminate differences in functionality and over all software quality
I have a variety of computers and mobile devices in my place, so I have experimented with the BluOS controller on Mac OS, Windows, Android [phone] and iOS [iPad].
Over the course of the first few weeks working with these apps, I was surprised at the number of bugs and inconsistencies between the controller app on different platforms. After a couple of weeks, I started writing down the bugs as I encountered them. This list is below.
Some might suggest that Quality Assurance (Testing) resources are lacking. My experience tells me that's not the problem. More likely management needs to move the focus of software developers from building new features back to fixing bugs.
--------------- --------------- --------------- --------------- --------------- ---------------
Bluesound Android Controller:
- Albums from one of two network shares disappear
- Added new music to file share containing MP3 files
- Browse Library for albums, all music from the other file share [FLAC] is no longer visible.
This problem occurred on other controllers as well: Mac OS, Windows, iOS.
- Fixing this required removal of both shares, then re-adding them.
- 'Show All' should just happen. Get rid of the button.
- The 'Show All' button should be eliminated in most situations.
- Its an annoying extra click, when there is nothing other than the list I asked for to display.
- Just show me all of my results, so I can scroll through them.
- Make better use of the limited space on the playlist or play queue views
- Rather than showing icons that look like music notes or CDs, show me more information about the song, like its length, or album name, or ... something useful.
- Playlist editing should be better.
- Just look at playlist editors on other players. Nuff said.
Bluesound Windows Controller:
- Deleting a Playlist, screen is not updated
- navigate to MyPlaylists
- click on the 3 dots next to a playlist, select Delete
- Nothing appears to happen.
It was deleted, but there was no indication on the screen.
- ReIndex doesn't resyc filesystem information
- added new music files to a file share
- cover images are too large
- resize image files and copy the new ones into the appropriate directories in the file share
- Settings : Music Library : Reindex Music Collection
- the button does nothing.
- restart the controller
- try Reindex Music Collection again
- still not working.
Bottom line: The cover art files are now the correct size, under 600kb and 1200x1200, but the Controller refuses to see the new files.
- Reload Album Artwork provides no feedback
- Settings : Reload Albu artwork
- Doing this as an attempt to fix the other problem where the controller can't see updated cover art files in a network share.
- The Controller provides no feedback. There should at least be some confirmation that the operation was executed / completed.
- Also, in the case where resized cover art files were copied into album directories, the reload failed to find the new art files.
- Removing a Share, screen is not updated.
- navigate to: Settings : Music Library : Network shares
- select shares to remove
- click 'Remove Selected Shares' button
- Nothing appears to happen.
The shares were removed, but there was no indication on the screen.
- Paste is not enabled for specifying Share name
- First, determine the name of the share to add: \\ComputerName\ShareName
- Copy the share name into the paste buffer
- in the Bluesound controller app, attempt to paste the share name into the name field
- Paste does not work !
Bluesound Mac Controller:
- Too many to enumerate. This app should not have been released in this state.
Please sign in to leave a comment.